Tuesday, February 17, 2009
No, it’s not my wedding anniversary yet, but it is a significant mile marker in my life. Four years ago, on Valentine’s Day, we left our former town in Wisconsin to move to our current town in Nebraska. We loaded up our silver minivan with our remaining stuff, our two-year-old son, and our four-month-old daughter, and headed south. We drove nearly non-stop 13 hours until we reached my in-laws’ house where we were going to crash for a few days until we moved in to our house.
And this is a great opportunity to reflect on the many blessings we have enjoyed since coming here. We have been blessed with:
- a wonderful congregation that cares about us and responds to my ministry,
- a comfortable house (although since coming here we’ve added two more kids, which makes it feel nice and full!),
- great friends–for us and for our children,
- sufficient income to take care of our needs,
- a supportive, friendly community,
- stability (during our first five years of marriage, we moved five times; during the second four years, we have moved none, thank you, Jesus!),
- a safe, leisurely-paced town, and
- meaningful relationships and work.
This is also a great opportunity to dream of the things I would like to accomplish in the coming years. Over the next four (or so) years, I would like to:
- help our kids to thrive in school, in their character development, in their faith journey, and in their friendships,
- nurture my marriage relationship, which is one of the highlights of my life,
- see our church thrive deeper and wider (but without being hung up on numbers; please refer to my previous post), watching participants be transformed into disciples and evangelists,
- witness unbelievers come to faith through the efforts of our congregation, blessed by the Holy Spirit,
- become a better preacher,
- find creative ways to reach men with the gospel message, and
- further my education and grow in my own knowledge, character, faith, and relationships.